URB4N Apartments at 4 Selby Street, Kurralta Park.
Kurralta Park History
Kurralta is the native word for ‘on the hill’ or ‘up there’.
The Kurralta Park subdivision was laid out by Henry Allchurch, a farmer and storekeeper, in 1918 and a portion of that land was once owned by Dr William Wyatt.
Dr William Wyatt arrived in South Australia in 1837, aged 33. He initially conducted a medical practice and later held positions of Protector of Aborigines, City Coroner, Magistrate and Inspector of Schools. In 1843 he built a home at Burnside called ‘Kurralta’. (Sourced from SLSA:Manning Index)
Kurralta Park is bound by Anzac Highway to the south, South Road to the east, and Barwell Avenue to the north. Brownhill Creek divides the suburb. It is about 4 km from the CBD of Adelaide.
In 2018 Kurralta Park, and the surrounding neighbourhood, was rated number 1 for liveability by Price Waterhouse Coopers. It also sits halfway between Glenelg Beach and the city. See more details
4 Selby St Kurralta Park History
Below is a typical Kurralta Park house being built in the mid 1940s and it is very reminiscent of the 4 Selby St house look. Construction techniques have changed a little bit from then!